Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Some Family Tree Matthew 1:1-17

I'm not a bible scholar so when I hear this gospel I usually tune out.  Except something recently caught my ear.  I'm guessing it's not an original idea, but a couple of people stood out to me. 

David sees this woman bathing outside and lusts after her, so he takes her for his own. This woman was one of David's military guy's wife.  She ends up getting pregnant and when David can't cover it up, he has her husband murdered. 

The son ends up being King Solomon.  God blesses Solomon and gives him wisdom.  Solomon is blessed despite where he came from.  God did not punish him for his father's sins.

Even after major mortal sins: adultery and murder, God still brings tremendous good.  Lord, if I were you, I would not have found favor with the illegitimate son.  Thank goodness Your ways are not my ways.  

Ruth was the other person listed in the genealogy.  During that time women were seen as second class citizens and Ruth was not a Jew, she was a Moabite.  Jews did not associate with Moabite's.  
Once again Lord, You are showing me Your ways are far above our ways.

By simply adding them to the genealogy it speaks volumes about mercy and once again bringing great goodness, after great evil.

Jesus show me how to see as your see, to think as you think and most importantly, love as you love.  

Much love,
Trisha

Resolution: Seek You Holy Spirit as I walk through my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment